Head of Volunteering
Location (UK): London office hybrid*, Chesterfield office hybrid*or Homeworking
Hours: Full-time, 35 hours per week, with part-time considered
Salary: £58,017 London office hybrid, £54,881 Rest of UK (subject to pay review)
Benefits: Read more about the excellent benefits we offer
Contract type: Permanent
Travel: Travel to UK offices and within the community as required
Closing date: 23:59, Monday 3 April 2023
Download the job description and person specification for the Head of Volunteering role (Word, 46 KB).
Through our diversity and inclusion strategy, we have made a commitment to increase the diversity of our charity and we welcome candidates from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We want our employees, volunteers and trustees to represent the broad diversity of the communities of which we are a part.
Versus Arthritis is committed to keeping children, young people and vulnerable adults safe from harm. During the recruitment process Versus Arthritis will undertake safer recruitment practices and relevant checks to ensure applicants are suitable to work with children, young people and vulnerable adults.
About the role
In this role you will be a key member of the People and Organisational Development Directorate and will be part of the organisation’s wider leadership team. You will lead a team of volunteering professionals and will be accountable for a high-quality volunteering provision, making a unique contribution to people living with arthritis, and ensuring our volunteers feel engaged, motivated and valued, managing key relationships across the organisation and providing inspirational leadership to the team.
Your application should bring out the following key skills, knowledge, experiences and attributes:
- Your passion for working in an organisation supporting people with arthritis, including any lived experience.
- Your experience in working within volunteer management and/or volunteer development.
- Your track record in delivering sustainable change and innovation, preferably in a volunteer setting.
- Your track record of leading and inspiring teams to deliver.
- Your experience of developing excellent relationships with wider leaders, other staff and volunteers.
- Your track record of developing strategies, plans and budgets which make a real difference.
- Your experience of assessing the impact of volunteering either on an organisation-wide basis or in particular setting.
*As a hybrid worker, the expectation is that you will spend around 40% of your working time in our office spaces or working in community settings.
How to apply
To apply you MUST submit:
- a concise up-to-date CV
- a completed application form (Word, 42 KB) demonstrating how you meet the key requirements set out in the job description and person specification for the Head of Volunteering role (Word, 46 KB). All sections must be completed.
Email both documents as Word or PDF attachments by 23:59, Monday 3 April 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a health condition that prevents you from following the steps above, please email us regarding alternative ways to apply.
Application deadline and shortlisting
- We advise candidates to apply early as we reserve the right to close applications ahead of the advertised date.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
First interviews are scheduled to take place in London on Wednesday 12 April 2023. There may be a second interview.
We do not wish to receive contact from agencies or media sales.
There are 20.3 million people living with arthritis and MSK conditions in the UK. That’s one in three people, many who live in pain every single day. The impact is huge as the condition intrudes on everyday life – affecting the ability to work, care for a family, to move free from pain and to live independently. Yet arthritis is often dismissed as an inevitable part of aging or shrugged off as ‘just a bit of arthritis’. We don’t think that this is ok. Versus Arthritis is here to change that.
Join us and use your skills, knowledge, passion and energy to help us defy arthritis.
Read more about working for us.
Happy to Talk Flexible Working
Promoting equality in the workplace.
“Our Flex ways of working enables our employees to have flexibility about how they work, whilst ensuring the needs of the charity are met.”
Promoting and supporting diversity in the workplace.
Versus Arthritis is a Registered Charity No: 207711 and in Scotland No. SC041156.