Diversity and Inclusion Volunteer group member
Who this opportunity is open to
- has lived experience of : (i) arthritis or MSK condition; or (ii) caring for/supporting a person with arthritis or MSK condition; or (iii) being a parent of a young person with arthritis or another MSK condition
- is aged 16 years old and over (16 & 17 year olds will be asked for parental consent, unless resident in Scotland)
- can be based from any location (this role is offered UK wide)
- can be involved online, face to face, telephone, individual, with a small group (eg 2-10 people) or medium group (eg 11-39 people) or large group (eg 40+).
A bit about the role
Versus Arthritis is beginning its diversity and inclusion journey towards becoming a fully inclusive and actively anti-racist charity. In order to achieve these ambitious aims, the organisation requires all our people to champion diversity and inclusion and advise the Board and senior leaders within the organisation on emerging diversity and inclusion themes from our volunteers and involved people (VIPs).
Diversity and Inclusion Volunteers will bring their diverse backgrounds and lived experience to advise and help shape and implement Versus Arthritis' Diversity and Inclusion strategy. D&I Volunteers will have a particular focus on helping VA to broaden the diversity of volunteers to more accurately reflect and represent people with arthritis across the UK.
Volunteers will meet as part of the D&I Volunteers Advisory Group and will help to formulate an appropriate ED&I training programme for volunteers
Volunteers will bring their lived experiences and knowledge to regular meetings to help advise and deliver on our Diversity and Inclusion plan.
This is a fixed term volunteering role with an opportunity to be part of this exciting and crucial work.
Start date: from October 2021
End date: ongoing
This role does not require a criminal records check
What does the role involve?
Diversity and Inclusion Volunteers will meet (online) regularly (6 weekly TBC) to be the voice of people with arthritis and other MSK conditions considering and shaping all aspects of the Diversity and Inclusion strategy.
Activities will include:
- Advise and shape the development and implementation of the Involvement and Volunteering Diversity and Inclusion plan especially to broaden the diversity of our volunteers so that they are representative of the UK population
- Support the gathering of insight, stories and feedback from existing volunteers and through surveys, vox pops, focus groups, use of social media, etc
- Advise and share the voice of people with arthritis with the Diversity and Inclusion Action Group and senior leadership groups within Versus Arthritis
- Recommend how and what level of Diversity and Inclusion training are given to volunteers.
- Ability to share opinions diplomatically
- Ability to understand that everyone’s experience of arthritis is different
- Comfortable to challenge us and influence other people including decision-makers
- Interpersonal/people skills - ability to build relationships
- IT literacy / confident in using IT
- Confident communicator
In this role you would be expected to uphold the following:
- Interested in meeting and talking to people
- Flexible and responsive to meet needs if available
- Respecting equality and diversity
- For ongoing activities, a willingness to join and participate in training/induction/skill development
Must be able to attend meetings preferably on Teams but dial-in available. Be prepared to read and comment on reports prior to meetings.
Willingness to be contacted preferably via email and use of the internet increases access to certain activities which are time limited and therefore not suitable for postal communication.
Travel is not necessarily required.
Induction and training may be required for some ongoing activities, which would be discussed with you individually upon expression of interest.
The staff role supporting this opportunity is:
Involvement & Volunteering Officer Helen Saxon-Jones
Involvement Manager Kerry Jones Kensah
Expressions of interest: please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in being part of our Diversity and Inclusion Volunteer group.