Group Lead Volunteer – Cwtch Support, Carmarthen
Who this opportunity is open to
- has lived experience of (desirable but not essential) : (i) arthritis or MSK condition; or (ii) caring for/supporting a person with arthritis or MSK condition; or (iii) has knowledge of arthritis or MSK condition (eg Health Care Professional)
- is aged 18 years old and over
- can reach / live within 15 miles of Carmarthen SA31 1JT
- can be involved face to face.
A bit about the role
Lead volunteer to run a fortnightly support group.
Provide support to people with arthritis within the Carmarthen area of Carmarthenshire by running a group, ensuring refreshments available, sourcing and booking speakers (with coordinator support), maintaining attendance lists and working with the coordinator. To run the group as a partnership with 2 other volunteers.
Start date: from 26 July 2021
End date: ongoing
This role requires a criminal records check.
What does the role involve?
The areas of our work you would be involved with are:
- Leading activities
- Participating in activities
- Supporting people
You would need to give some time (approximately 3 hrs) each month.
To undertake this role you will need the following skills/experience:
- Ability to share opinions diplomatically.
- Ability to understand that everyone’s experience of arthritis is different.
- Administration skills.
- Facilitating meetings.
- First Aid.
- Interpersonal/people skills – ability to build relationships.
- IT literacy/confident in using IT.
- Organisational skills.
In this role you would be expected to uphold the following:
- Able to maintain confidentiality.
- Friendly and approachable.
- Interested in meeting and talking to people.
- Open to having fun supporting your peers.
- Reliable subject to any limitations eg health condition, extenuating circumstances.
- Respecting equality and diversity.
- Willing to join and participate in training/induction/skill development.
- Willing to offer peer support.
You will need:
- Access to a computer/laptop/smartphone.
- Access to the internet.
- Access to a phone.
- Ability to travel.
- Access to a car and/or public transport.
Induction and training is to be undertaken before starting this opportunity covering : data protection, safeguarding awareness, administration, covid safe procedures, facilitation.
It will be made available through a blended approach - a combination of online, face to face, and/or hard copy materials.
Our Promise to you
We promise that you will be fully supported throughout your activities with Versus Arthritis. As different people require different types and levels of support based on their needs and their role, so the offer will be personalised to your requirements. Such support includes:
- Core training.
- Bespoke training as required.
- Record of training and certificates.
- Annual acknowledgement of activities.
- IT/ access to Microsoft 365/ materials as appropriate.
- Role brief and support/ supervisor/ named contact.
- Process to feed in ideas/ being listened to.
- Access to all volunteer policies and procedures.
- All out of pocket expenses as detailed within our expenses policy.
- Use of different methods of communication/ no jargon/ Welsh.
- Good lead in times to enable meaningful involvement and volunteering.
The staff role supporting this opportunity is:
Service Co-ordinator – Carmarthenshire