Involvement network diversity and inclusion group member
Who this opportunity is open to?
- has lived experience of: (i) arthritis or MSK condition; or (ii) caring for/supporting a person with arthritis or MSK condition; or (iii) being a parent of a young person with arthritis or another MSK condition
- is aged 16 years old and over (16- & 17-year-olds will be asked for parental consent, unless resident in Scotland)
- can be based from any location (this role is offered UK wide)
- can be involved online, face to face, telephone, individual, with a small group (e.g., 2-10 people) or medium group (e.g., 11-39 people) or large group (e.g., 40+).
A bit about the role
Versus Arthritis has begun its diversity and inclusion journey towards becoming a fully inclusive and actively anti-racist charity. To achieve these ambitious aims, the organisation requires all our people to champion diversity and inclusion, advise the board and senior leaders within the organisation on emerging diversity and inclusion themes from our volunteers and involved people (VIPs).
As an Involvement Network Diversity & Inclusion member you will bring your diverse backgrounds and lived experience to advise, deliver and help to shape Versus Arthritis' Diversity and Inclusion strategy, Involvement Policy, Diversity Plan, Payment Policy, recruitment of trustees and board members etc.
We would like this group to have a particular focus on helping Versus Arthritis to broaden the diversity of our involved people to reflect and represent people with arthritis across the UK more accurately.
Volunteers will bring their lived experiences and knowledge to regular meetings to help advise and deliver on our Diversity and Inclusion plan.
This is an opportunity to be part of this exciting and crucial work.
Start date: August 2022
End date: ongoing
This role does not require a Criminal Records Check
What does the role involve?
The areas of our work you would be involved with are:
- Involvement Network Diversity & Inclusion Group will meet up every month
- 8 meetings are for an hour on teams, these are about sharing information and updates
- 4 meetings are over 2 days
- 2 are face to face in London and are over 2 days including travel and overnight accommodation
- 2 are over 2 days via teams.
Activities will include:
- Support the gathering of insight, stories and feedback from existing volunteers and through surveys, vox pops, focus groups, use of social media, etc
- Advise and share the voice of people with arthritis with the Diversity and Inclusion Action Group and senior leadership groups within Versus Arthritis
- Recommend how and what level of Diversity and Inclusion training are given to volunteers.
To undertake this role you will need the following skills/experience
- Ability to share opinions diplomatically
- Ability to understand that everyone’s experience of arthritis is different
- Comfortable to challenge us
- Influence other people including decision – makers
- Interpersonal/people skills - ability to build relationships
- IT literacy / confident in using IT
- Confident communicator
In this role you would be expected to uphold the following:
- Interested in meeting and talking to people
- Flexible and responsive to meet needs if available
- Respecting equality and diversity
- For ongoing activities, a willingness to join and participate in training/induction/skill development
Practical Considerations (Desirable but not essential)
You will need:
- Access to a computer/laptop/smartphone
- Access to the internet
- Access to a phone (either landline or mobile)
Must be able to attend meetings preferably on Teams. Be prepared to read and comment on reports prior to meetings.
Willingness to be contacted preferably via email and use of the internet increases access to certain activities which are time limited and therefore not suitable for postal communication.
Travel is not necessarily required.
Induction and training may be required for some ongoing activities, which would be discussed with you individually upon expression of interest.
Our promise to you
We promise that you will be fully supported throughout your activities with Versus Arthritis. As different people require different types and levels of support based on their needs and their role, the offer will be personalised to your requirements. Such support includes:
- Core training
- Bespoke training as required
- Record of training and certificates
- Annual acknowledgement of activities
- IT/ access to Microsoft 365/ materials as appropriate
- Role brief and support/ supervisor/ named contact
- Process to feed in ideas/ being listened to
- Access to all volunteer policies and procedures
- All out of pocket expenses as detailed within our expenses policy
- Use of different methods of communication/ no jargon/ Welsh
- Good lead in times to enable meaningful involvement and volunteering
The staff role supporting this opportunity is:
Senior Manager - Involvement Kerry Jones Kensah
Involvement Officer Alaska Bailey
Expressions of interest: please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in being part of our Diversity and Inclusion Volunteer group.