Online community moderator volunteer
Who this opportunity is open to?
- is willing to give 4 hours per week plus take part in training on a regular basis
- has lived experience of arthritis or MSK condition OR cares for or supports a person with arthritis or MSK condition
- is aged 18 years old and over
- can be based anywhere in the UK as it is home based
- is happy to use online services e.g., Teams, Online Community and WhatsApp services.
A bit about the role
At Versus Arthritis, we have a thriving online community – the only criteria for membership is that members live with, or care for someone with an MSK/arthritis related condition. Members can (and do) talk about anything and everything, bringing support, friendship, and humour to the conversations. Take a look for yourself https://community.versusarthritis.org/.
Online Community Moderator Volunteers oversee that the forum is used appropriately and that there is a safe and comfortable environment for people to chat. Volunteers also provide help, support and signposting to Versus Arthritis’ health information, resources and other services.
Other activities include:
- welcoming new members to the online community
- taking part in regular volunteer moderator training events.
Start date: from September 2022
End date: ongoing
This role requires a criminal records check.
What does the role involve?
The area of our work you would be involved with is:
- supporting people.
You would be asked to give some time (4 hours) each week. This includes a commitment to keeping up to date with Versus Arthritis resources and services. Also joining support sessions and training events when possible
To undertake this role, you will need the following skills/experience:
- ability to share opinions diplomatically
- ability to understand that everyone’s experience of arthritis is different
- writing a welcome post for all new members joining during your session
- building relationships with your fellow moderators, admin, and community members
- IT literacy / confident in using IT
- IT confident in using Microsoft Teams or similar
- providing relevant support and/or advice to people
- team building
- verbal communication
- written communication.
In this role you would be expected to uphold the following:
- able to maintain confidentiality
- flexible and responsive to meet needs
- friendly and approachable
- open to having fun supporting your peers
- reliable subject to any limitations eg health condition, extenuating circumstances
- respecting equality and diversity
- willing to join and participate in training/induction/skill development
- willing to offer peer support.
You will need:
- access to a computer/laptop/smartphone
- access to the internet
- access to a phone.
A laptop can be provided if required.
Induction and training are to be undertaken before starting this opportunity: three initial training sessions to learn the basics of the online community moderator role, extra sessions are available if needed to build confidence. It will be made available through a blended approach - a combination of online, face to face, and hard copy materials.
Also, through this blended approach, some training is to be undertaken after starting this opportunity: weekly chat and train sessions with the team and the online community officer to cover any issues the moderators feel need refreshment; the expectation is that all moderators will attend one session a month. In addition, twice yearly training events, held either face to face or online. Ongoing support from a senior moderator buddy working on the same day as the new moderator.
Our Promise to you
We promise that you will be fully supported throughout your activities with Versus Arthritis. As different people require different types and levels of support based on their needs and their role, so the offer will be personalised to your requirements. Such support includes:
- core training
- bespoke training as required
- annual acknowledgement of activities
- IT/ access to Microsoft 365/ materials as appropriate
- role brief and support/ supervisor/ named contact
- process to feed in ideas/ being listened to
- access to all volunteer policies and procedures
- all out of pocket expenses as detailed within our expenses policy
- use of different methods of communication/ no jargon/ Welsh
- good lead in times to enable meaningful involvement and volunteering.
The staff role supporting this opportunity is:
Online Community Manager and Online Community Officer/s
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in this opportunity.