User trial of the intelligent knee osteoarthritis Lifestyle app (ikoala)
Who this opportunity is open to?
- has lived experience of arthritis or MSK condition, specifically osteoarthritis
- is aged 18 years old and over (from 16 years of age in Scotland)
- can be based from any location (this role is offered UK wide)
- can be involved online.
A bit about the role
The purpose of the study is to collect feedback on a physical activity app specifically tailored for people with osteoarthritis. Researchers at the University of Bath and University of West of England have developed a prototype smartphone app to provide support for people to better manage their osteoarthritis. The app has information about osteoarthritis, rehabilitation exercises and an ability to display physical activity patterns. The app can provide personalised physical activity suggestions based upon users’ preferences. The next step of the project, and the purpose of this study, is to give people with osteoarthritis a fit bit activity tracker and access to the app free of charge and allow users to use the app via their smartphone to get user feedback on the product.
Versus Arthritis employees who have arthritis are also invited to join the project.
Start date: from January 2022
End date: January 2023
This role does not require a criminal records check
What does the role involve?
The areas of our work you would be involved with are:
- Research Involvement.
- Participating in activities.
You would be asked to give some time each month, for testing/using the app over a period of 3 months. It would also involve wearing a fit bit to track activity..
To undertake this role you will need the following skills/experience:
- IT literacy / confident in using IT.
- IT confident in using Microsoft Teams.
- Verbal communication.
In this role you would be expected to uphold the following:
- Friendly and approachable.
You will need:
- Access to a phone either landline or mobile.
- Access to apps via either a computer / laptop / smartphone / tablet / internet.
Travel is not required
Induction and training are not required.
Our Promise to you
We promise that you will be fully supported throughout your activities with Versus Arthritis. As different people require different types and levels of support based on their needs and their role, so the offer will be personalised to your requirements. Such support includes:
- Core training.
- Bespoke training as required.
- Record of training and certificates.
- Annual acknowledgement of activities.
- IT/ access to Microsoft 365/ materials as appropriate.
- Role brief and support/ supervisor/ named contact.
- Process to feed in ideas/ being listened to.
- Access to all volunteer policies and procedures.
- All out of pocket expenses as detailed within our expenses policy.
- Use of different methods of communication/ no jargon/ Welsh.
- Good lead in times to enable meaningful involvement and volunteering.
The staff role supporting this opportunity is:
Physical Activity Manager