Scope of research
We aren't a single disease-based charity, we support research into a range of conditions that affect the musculoskeletal system: joints bones, tendons, ligaments and muscles. This includes both common and rare conditions.
Our research can be grouped into five major areas:
- Rheumatoid arthritis and related inflammatory joint diseases such as juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA), ankylosing spondylitis and psoriatic arthritis
- Osteoarthritis and related degenerative disorders
- Autoimmune rheumatic diseases (or connective tissue diseases) such as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), scleroderma and the different forms of vasculitis
- Diseases of bone such as osteoporosis
- Conditions of pain such as low back pain and fibromyalgia
We fund basic discovery research through to clinical and applied health research. We fund basic research to better understand how different forms of musculoskeletal conditions develop and continue to invest in the development and evaluation of new treatment. Importantly, our five-year focus, will drive the prioritisation of research underpinning areas of more immediate impact on the lives of people with arthritis, such as disease management and health services research.
Conditions eligible for funding (PDF, 72 KB)
If you would like further advice about a potential application, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org