Make your event safe


As part of your event-planning process, it's important to check whether your event is safe and complies with the relevant authorities and laws.

Below is a list of some of the areas you may need to consider in your planning, depending on the type of event you're putting on. The list is for guidance only and shouldn't be used as an exhaustive checklist.


You may want to consider taking out insurance. Public liability insurance isn't mandatory, but it may be a good idea to take out cover if your event is open to the public.

If youre hiring equipment or a service, you should check that the provider has full insurance before signing any contracts.

Check with your venue to see if you're protected by their policy – if not, a number of insurance companies offer this cover.

Versus Arthritis can't accept responsibility for any damage, accident or injury that occurs at your event.

Health and safety

Risk assessments don’t have to be complicated but you do need to consider any potential risks (such as trip hazards) and take steps to guard against them (such as taping over loose carpet).

See our template risk assessment (PDF, 96 KB) and for guidance.

Medical cover

Depending on the size and type of your event you might need to consider first aid.

For small indoor events you might just want to make sure you have a first aid box made available and identify a person who has first aid training present at the event.

For larger events you might want to consider contacting St John Ambulance for medical support.

Children and vulnerable young people

Please consider children and vulnerable young people in your planning and make sure any activity for them is supervised at all times.

You also might want to consider a lost child procedure and have a lost child point for anyone wanting to report a missing child.

Alcohol, food hygiene and entertainment licenses

If you’re holding an event in a public area and might involve the sale of alcohol and food, live music or entertainment, you may need a license. Contact your local council and police for guidance. You might also find these websites useful:

Collections, raffles, lotteries and prize draws

If you'd like to hold a collection at your event you need to consider where your event is taking place:

  • Public land is governed by strict legal requirements and must be licensed by the local authority. Before you approach your local authority for a license, you must contact your local fundraising manager.
  • Private premises (like pubs or supermarkets) only need the owner's permission. No license is needed.

Holding a raffle

If you want to put on a raffle or prize draw at your event please contact your local authority for guidance and check the latest information and advice at

Please note: It's illegal to carry out house-to-house or public street collections without a license.