Terms and conditions
Please read these terms and conditions carefully before using this site.
What's in these terms?
These terms tell you the rules for using our website www.versusarthritis.org (our site).
You can read more about how Versus Arthritis protects personal data, as well as your rights by reading our privacy notice.
Who we are
We are Versus Arthritis (formerly Arthritis Research UK and Arthritis Care), registered charity number 207711 in England and Wales and SC041156 in Scotland. We invest in breakthrough treatments, the best information and vital support for everyone affected by arthritis. We are a registered company in England and Wales number 490500 and our registered address is Copeman House, St Marys Court, Chesterfield S41 7TD.
Versus Arthritis Trading Limited (formerly Arthritis Research UK Trading Limited) is a registered company in England and Wales number 891517 and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Versus Arthritis which trades on our behalf. In this policy, “we” means both Versus Arthritis and our subsidiary.
For all questions regarding these terms please speak to our supporter care team:
- by mail to: Supporter Care, Versus Arthritis, Copeman House, St Mary’s Court, St Mary’s Gate, Chesterfield S41 7TD
- by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- by phone on: 0300 790 0400
There are other terms that may apply to you
If you purchase goods from our site, our terms and conditions of supply will apply to the sales.
Changes to these terms and this site
We amend these terms from time to time. Every time you wish to use our site, please check these terms to ensure you understand the terms that apply at that time.
We may update and change our site from time to time and we may suspend or withdraw our site.
We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. We may suspend or withdraw or restrict the availability of all or any part of our site for business and operational reasons.
Our site is directed to people residing in the United Kingdom. We do not represent that content available on or through our site is appropriate for use or available in other locations.
You must keep your account details safe.
If you choose, or you are provided with, a user identification code, password or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, you must treat such information as confidential. You must not disclose it to any third party.
If you know or suspect that anyone other than you knows your user identification code or password, you must promptly notify us at email@example.com.
How you may use material on our site
We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our site, and in the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
You may print off one copy, and may download extracts, of any page(s) from our site for your personal use and you may draw the attention of others within your organisation to content posted on our site.
You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of content on our site must always be acknowledged.
You must not use any part of the content on our site for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence to do so from us or our licensors.
Do not rely on information on this site
The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain local professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our site.
We've made every effort to make sure that the content on our site is correct at time of publication, but we cannot guarantee its accuracy at the time you access it or that it is relevant to your particular circumstances. If you would like further information or if you have any concerns about your diagnosis, treatment or if you need a diagnosis then you should discuss this with your doctor, rheumatology nurse or pharmacist.
Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up to date.
Our responsibility for loss or damage suffered by you
- We do not exclude or limit in any way our liability to you where it would be unlawful to do so. This includes liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or the negligence of our employees, agents or subcontractors and for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
- To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all conditions, warranties representations or other terms which may apply to our site or any content on it.
- We will not be liable for any loss or damage (including loss of data), whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- use of, or inability to use, the site or any information contained on it; or
- use of or reliance on any content or information displayed on our site; or
- the provision of, or our failure to provide, any products, services or events ordered or made available through our site (unless stated otherwise in any relevant additional terms and conditions).
- Different limitations and exclusions of liability will apply to liability arising as a result of the supply of any products to you, which will be set out in our terms and conditions of supply.
- Please note that we only provide our site for domestic and private use. You agree not to use our site for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
Uploading content to our site
Any content you upload to our site will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. You retain all of your ownership rights in your content, but you are required to grant us a limited licence to use, store and copy that content and to distribute and make it available to third parties.
We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to our site constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
You are solely responsible for securing and backing up your content.
Versus Arthritis will not be responsible, or liable to you or any third party, for the content or accuracy of any materials posted by you or any other user of the website.
Where content is made available publicly, Versus Arthritis will not be responsible, or liable to you or any use or misuse of data by a third party unaffiliated to Versus Arthritis where data is obtained through copying from or linking to our public website.
For more information about the Defy Arthritis campaign please see 'Additional terms for Defy Arthritis campaign' below.
Additional terms for Defy Arthritis campaign
Upon submitting your contribution (name and/or story) to the website, your consent for us to use your contribution publicly grants Versus Arthritis permission to store your contribution on our website for a maximum of two years starting at the end of the campaign in February 2019. During this period we may use your information for publicity and marketing on behalf of Versus Arthritis and its Trading Company, as described in the above section 'uploading content to our site'.
You must be over 13 years of age to participate in this campaign. If you are under 13 and wish to join the campaign, then please ask your parent to fill in the information on your behalf.
The arthritis virtual assistant
In addition to these general terms and conditions the following specific conditions will apply to arthritis virtual assistant:
- The arthritis virtual assistant is an application that understands natural-language input and uses machine learning (what it has learnt on our site) to respond to you in a way that simulates a conversation.
- The arthritis virtual assistant provides general information which is relevant to your query and not tailored medical advice. By using the arthritis virtual assistant you confirm that you understand the limits of the information provided. If you would like further information or if you have any concerns about your diagnosis, treatment or if you need a diagnosis then you should discuss this with your doctor, rheumatology nurse or pharmacist.
- Every effort is made to ensure that the information provided by the arthritis virtual assistant is correct at the time of publication, however this publication date will be before your conversation with the arthritis virtual assistant. For example, if you ask about a particular drug, our information could be from 2016 but the Arthritis Virtual Assistant will tell you when you ask in 2017 or later. We cannot guarantee that the information provided by the arthritis virtual assistant is up to date.
- The arthritis virtual assistant may provide you with information about exercise or exercise techniques that you could follow. If you’re worried about starting a new exercise then your doctor can give you a check-up to make sure you’d benefit from more activity. If necessary, your GP can also refer you to see a physiotherapist or other healthcare professional who can advise you about specific exercises.
- The arthritis virtual assistant may provide you with information about drugs. We have made every effort to ensure that the information is correct at time of original publication, but remember that information about drugs may change. The arthritis virtual assistant will give you information about a drug for general education only and will not list all the uses and side-effects associated the drug. If you have any questions about drugs that you are taking or considering taking then please contact your GP for specific advice.
- The arthritis virtual assistant does not need your personal information and will only ask for your name. The arthritis virtual assistant will not treat your conversations as personal data and you must not provide the arthritis virtual assistant with any other personal information which may be used to identify you, for example your address, NHS number, bank details etc.
- The arthritis virtual assistant is based on the IBM Watson cognitive computing platform. For more information about IBM Watson we use visit www.ibm.com/watson/developercloud/conversation and to understand the principles which unpin IBMs approach visit “Principles for a Cognitive Era” at www.ibm.com/blogs/think/2017/01/ibm-cognitive-principles/
- Versus Arthritis believes that all adults and children have the right to be safe from abuse and harm. Adults and children can be abused online or in the real world by a family member, a paid or unpaid carer or indeed anybody whom they can come into contact with. Some adults or children may have thoughts about harming themselves; often because they feel their life is not worth living. If you are concerned about an adult or child being abused or are thinking about harming yourself, the Virtual Assistant is not best placed to provide information on how to get help and support and instead you should read our commitment to keeping adults and children safe for further advice and guidance. In an emergency, please call 999.
How the arthritis virtual assistant uses your data
The arthritis virtual assistant does not need your personal information and will only ask for your first name. It will not treat your conversations as personal data and you must not provide it with any other personal information which may be used to identify you, for example your address, NHS number and bank details.
Any information you share with the arthritis virtual assistant, including any personal or sensitive information will be transferred to and stored on the IBM Watson platform for up to 90 days. Versus Arthritis will retain your information for up to 12 months to help us to analyse the conversations and improve answers.
Read our privacy notice for more information on how Versus Arthritis uses personal data.
We are not responsible for viruses and you must not introduce them
We do not guarantee that our site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform to access our site. You should use your own virus protection software and check all content that you download from our site before using it.
You must not misuse our site by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material that is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our site, the server on which our site is stored or any server, computer or database connected to our site. You must not attack our site via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack. By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our site will cease immediately.
Which country's laws apply to any disputes?
Joint Pain Survey Prize Draw
1. Information regarding prizes and how to enter forms part of these Terms and Conditions. By entering a Competition you agree that you have read and accept these Terms and Conditions (“Terms and Conditions”).
2. The Competition is operated by Versus Arthritis registered charity number 207711 in England and Wales, SC041156 in Scotland, registered company in England and Wales number 490500, whose registered office is at Copeman House, St. Mary's Court, St Mary's Gate, Chesterfield, Derbyshire S41 7TD (“Promoter” “we” “us”).
3. To be eligible to enter the Competition you must:
a. be UK resident;
b. be 18 years old or over at the time of entry; and
c. provide a valid postal address.
4. The Competition is not open to management and employees (and the immediate families of management and employees) of the Promoter.
5. No purchase/donation is necessary to enter the Competition.
6. You are only entitled to enter the Competition once.
7. The Competition will be open to entrants as described above and returning their entry before the closing date of 12th January 2019.
8. The Prize is an M&S gift voucher to the value of £100.
9. This competition will have one Winner only, the Winner will receive one Prize.
10. Your details will be collected and used for the purposes of conducting the Competition (which may include disclosure to third parties for the purpose of processing and conducting the Competition). By entering a Competition, you consent to the use of your information for publicity as described in clause 11.
11. We may use your first name and county for reasonable publicity and news purposes during this competition and any future competition or promotions in any and all media by us, our licensees, subsidiaries and assigns, provided this does not permit direct identification of you.
12. We will only use your personal details for marketing purposes as described in our Privacy Notice (see clause 13). You can change marketing preferences by contacting our Supporter Care team on firstname.lastname@example.org by calling 0300 790 0400 or by writing to us.
13. Please read our Privacy Notice available at https://www.versusarthritis.org/privacy which tells you how we use any personal information we may collect. Our Privacy Notice also tells you about your rights under data protection law and how we look after your personal information.
14. If you do not choose to receive marketing information, we will keep your details as outlined in our Privacy Notice.
15. If we believe that an Entry breaches or may breach any of the Terms and Conditions, that Entry may be disqualified and removed at our sole discretion.
16. We may refuse any Entry that is deemed to be submitted via any form of computer programming or automatically generated entries.
17. We may, at our sole discretion, disqualify all Entries from, and prohibit further participation in this competition by, any person who tampers with or benefits from any tampering with the entry process or with the operation of the competition or acts in violation of these conditions, acts in a disruptive manner or acts with the intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
18. There will be 1 Winner for the Competition.
19. The Winner of the Competition will be drawn after 12th January 2019 and will be selected at random.
20. The Winner will be notified by post, telephone or email and the Winner must respond to us within 30 days of notification to claim their Prize. If the Winner does not respond within 30 days, they will not be entitled to a Prize.
21. If the Winner does not identify themselves in this time, a second draw will take place using a similar process. This process will be repeated until the prize is claimed.
22. The Prize will be sent to the identified Winner by courier or another suitable secure service as soon as possible after they have confirmed. We do not guarantee receipt of the Prize by the Winner or the date of that receipt.
23. The Prize is not transferrable to any other person.
24. No part of a Prize may be exchanged for cash or any other Prize.
25. If an advertised Prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
26. You can find out who has won a Competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to Supporter Care, Versus Arthritis, Copeman House, St. Mary's Court, St Marys Gate, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 7TD after the closing date.
27. This competition is governed by English Law and shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
28. We may vary these Terms and Conditions at any time.
29. If for any reason any aspect of this competition is not capable of running as planned including by reason of tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any cause beyond our control which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this competition, we may in our sole discretion cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition, or invalidate any affected Entries.
30. We may, in circumstances beyond our control, terminate, modify or suspend the competition.
31. Any amendments or cancellations to these Terms and Conditions will be posted by means of a reasonably prominent link on our website and your continued participation in the competition will constitute acceptance of the revised Terms and Conditions. If you do not accept the revised Terms and Conditions it is your responsibility to notify us immediately.
32. Any costs associated with entering the competition and accessing the website are your responsibility.
33. If any court or competent authority finds that any provision of this agreement (or part of any provision) is invalid, illegal or unenforceable, that provision or part-provision shall, to the extent required, be deemed to be deleted, and the validity and enforceability of the other provisions of this agreement shall not be affected.
34. If any invalid, unenforceable or illegal provision of this agreement would be valid, enforceable and legal if some part of it were deleted, the provision shall apply with the minimum modification necessary to make it legal, valid and enforceable.
Limitation of Liability
35. Except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law we:
a. are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including (but not limited to) any injury or damage to participants or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating in this competition; and
b. accept no responsibility for any incorrect or inaccurate information caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in connection with this Competition, or by any technical error that may occur in the course of this Competition, including (but not limited to) any failure of the computer system or other equipment to determine Winners in accordance with these Terms and Conditions; and
c. accept no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to or alteration of Entries or Entrant's details; and
d. accept no responsibility for late, lost, incomplete, incorrectly submitted, delayed, illegible, corrupted or misdirected Entries, claims or correspondence whether due to error, omission, alteration, tampering, deletion, theft, destruction, transmission interruption, communications failure or otherwise. We have no control over telephone communications, the internet, networks or lines and accepts no responsibility for any problems associated with them, whether due to traffic congestion, technical malfunction or otherwise. We are not liable for any consequences of user error including (without limitation) costs incurred. Entries are deemed to be received at the time of receipt into our database, not time of transmission by the entrant. Proof of submission will not be accepted as proof of receipt.
36. Except for any liability that cannot by law be excluded, we (including our respective officers, employees and agents) exclude all liability (including negligence), for any personal injury or any loss or damage (or including loss of opportunity), indirect or consequential, arising in any way out of the Competition.
37. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall limit our liability for death or personal injury caused by our employees’ or agent’s negligence or for fraud.